Workforce Development Specialist
The Workforce Development Specialist (OWDS) provides employment readiness and seeks job placements for persons on State and County supervision. The WDS facilitates the National Institute of Corrections’ (NIC) Ready, Set, Work which provides and teaches employment readiness preparation, training and skills. Provides assistance and support for the challenges and barriers these individuals face. Building collaborative partnerships with businesses to encourage 2nd chance hiring and facilitate employment engagement
- All responsibilities for this position should be carried out with the mission and goals of the agency in mind; including interactions with people who come to us for assistance, members of the public, representatives from other agencies and county offices, as well as with co-workers in daily office functioning.
- Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains strict confidentiality and protects Agency operations by keeping information confidential and secured.
- Faciliates mandated training for participants and local employers
- Interacts with participants and NY State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision ( Digital & in-person platforms on a daily basis)
- Builds collaborative partnerships with businesses to encourage 2nd chance hiring and facilitate employment engagement.
- Completes monthly and quarterly reporting pertaining to NY State requirements
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
- Adheres to all Agency policies and procedures, including but not limited to corporate compliance, personnel and fiscal policies and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains a strong attention to detail, ensuring work is accurate and complete, and adheres to all established deadlines.
- Effectively and professionally interacts with all levels of associates.
- Excellent interpersonal, active listening, observation, analytical, problem-recognition and problem solving skills.
- High School Degree or GED required
- Fluent in English and Spanish a plus
- A Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) plus a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar capacity or equivalent combination of education and experience working with people with disabilities
- A valid NY State Driver’s License and ability to drive and an acceptable driving record for agency insurance coverage are required. Must be able to travel locally and regionally for meetings.
- Certified Offender Workforce Development Specialist, DCJS/OPCA
- Understanding of NICs’ Transition from Prison to Community Model
- Ability to communicate with treatment providers, County and state agencies specifically Parole and Probation Officers.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Person-Centered, relationship builder, persistent, provides positive reinforcement when appropriate, problem-solver, good role model, empowering, creative, flexible, self-motivated, liaison skills, non-judgmental approach, organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite of office products
- Satisfactory background check required
- Candidate will be required to disclose associations and/or family members under the supervision of parole or probation or currently incarcerated.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
Demonstrate ability to work as a member of a case management team.
- Good interpersonal skills; Treats people with respect; and sensitivity for cultural differences
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Reacts well under pressure
- History of working with people with disabilities, a plus
- Adheres to all Agency policies and procedures, including but not limited to corporate compliance, personnel policies, HIPAA and all procedures
- Establishes and maintains a strong attention to detail, insuring work is accurate and complete, and adheres to all established deadlines
- Effectively and professionally interacts with all levels of associates
- Other duties as assigned