FOOD RECOVERY VOLUNTEER
The Rockland Community Against Hunger (RCAH) Food Recovery Program is a collaboration of TOUCH, BRIDGES, The Martin Luther King Center of Spring Valley, Meals on Wheels of Rockland, and Catholic Charities. We work together to pick-up, recover, store and distribute unsold food to over 45 pantries and meal programs throughout Rockland County.
It is a rewarding opportunity to make a difference in Rockland County! Help prevent hunger and help the environment at the same time. We keep food out of landfills and get it to people that need it.
RCAH Food Recovery Volunteers are needed to sort, pickup and deliver unsold, recovered food from local supermarkets, stores, outlets, farms, or farmers’ markets.
We need help with:
- Sorting produce at stores
- Weighing/tracking food
- Moving food to curb
- Helping load and unload vehicles
- Delivering/unloading the recovered food to meal programs throughout the county
Time commitment can be as little as two hours per week, or up to 4-6 hours. Let us know your availability and we’ll let you know how you can help! We pickup food rescue and deliver direct to meal programs throughout the county every day.
- Good communications skills with diverse populations
- Ability to: Multi-task and prioritize effectively
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Lift 50 lbs. repeatedly as needed
- Complete safe food handling and other trainings as required
- A plus: A valid driver’s license and safe driving record (at least three years)
- A plus: Access to SUV or pickup truck
- Fluent English required; Spanish or Creole language skills are a plus
- A plus: Commitment to the route weekly
For more information, please contact Magda Durante, Food Recovery Coordinator, at 845-268-8023 option 4, or email MDurante@touch-ny.org.