BRIDGES operates a variety of programs guided by the Philosophy of Independent Living to provide services and supports for individuals with disabilities to experience autonomy in all areas of living.
The Staff Accountant assists the Director of Finance in the smooth and efficient operation of the Finance Department and in the overall accounting support and function of the Agency. The position entails providing accounting and financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data; preparing general journal and accounting entries, preparing and analyzing financial reports and assisting in the audit and financial reporting functions.
- At least an Associate’s Degree required, a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferred;
- At least one to five (1-5) years of accounting experience required; Non-Profit accounting experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP, GAAS, SFAS rules
- Experience with payroll systems and platforms including iSolved (PayServ) and ADP
- Proficient in various accounting software or systems with emphasis on Fund-EZ
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite products including Excel, Word, Outlook, Access and PowerPoint, with a strong proficiency emphasis in Excel required. Proficient in various accounting software packages
- Must be detail oriented and capable of adhering to tight deadlines.
- Ability to interact with co-workers, clients, elected officials and other agency staff, as well as the public in a professional and courteous manner
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Maintaining confidentiality by safeguarding the personal information of our staff, both by appropriate procedures in handling and filing paperwork as well as avoiding inappropriate discussions in public areas of the office. This confidentiality also extends outside of the office and regular office hours, to avoiding discussing names and any information about the people we serve with friends, family members or in any public place.
- Strong familiarity with disability issues, Treat people with respect; and sensitivity for cultural differences
- Effective and collaborative team player
- Must be cleared and maintain an acceptable record under the criminal background check process and by the Office of the Medicaid Inspector General (OMIG)
- A valid NY State Driver’s License and driving record acceptable for agency insurance coverage
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Records cash receipts and deposits in a timely manner
- Records accounts payables
- Records, prepares and submits grant vouchers to grantors for expense reimbursements in accordance to grant and contract specifications.
- Ensures the appropriate documentation is included with vouchers. Maintains complete and accurate files as backup.
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling, analyzing and maintaining account information. Prepare and record monthly and annual journal entries.
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents to insure appropriate approvals
- Maintains accounting controls by developing, recommending and implementing accounting procedures.
- Enters and cuts checks, obtains appropriate approvals, maintains backup and manages vendors in accounting system.
- Maintains current files of vendor W-9’s
- Issues 1099’s annually
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts monthly
- Maintains and secures financial information by ensuring data confidentiality and integrity; maintaining accounting and finance data base and backup support as necessary.
- Insures that financial transactions are appropriately classified and recorded in the Agency’s accounting system.
- Assists the Director of Finance in the preparation of the annual financial audit.
- Review employees’ time cards to check for work hours compliance
- Import timecards into payroll system and check figures for accuracy
- Review payroll documentation for accuracy and make any needed adjustments
- Review payroll records to ensure that they comply with the company’s policies, procedures and regulations
- Enter payroll into systems so that they can be processed and amounts can be calculated automatically
- Ascertain that additional payments such as overtime hours, benefits and compensation claims are added into the system
- Maintain files and records pertaining to employee payroll and enters information such as new employees, retirements and terminations in payroll platform
- Check all records and files for accuracy and make any necessary changed as needed
- Respond to employee inquiries pertaining to payroll or deposits concerns.
- Prepare and adjust journal entries in a bid to balance payroll accounts
- Maintain business controls and audit trails for payroll transactions
- Remain current in all agency required trainings
- Attend agency-sponsored in-service or training events
- Additional duties as assigned