Self-Directed Personal Assistance Services
BRIDGES operates a variety of programs guided by the Philosophy of Independent Living to provide services and supports for individuals with disabilities to experience autonomy in all areas of living.
BRIDGES acts as a Fiscal Intermediary in a NY State Agency with Choice model, that allows people with disabilities who are Medicaid and long term care eligible to recruit, interview, hire, train and dismiss their own employee known as a Personal Assistant (PA).
The Program Specialist for SDPAS is primarily responsible for providing essential supports and services to people served and ensuring that Fiscal Intermediary services are delivered in accordance with the philosophy and best practices of the program.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) plus a minimum of one year experience in a similar capacity or equivalent combination of education and experience working with people with disabilities
- Familiarity with the overall concept of Medicaid and the current health care environment; including benefits and entitlements
- Familiarity with the Independent Living Philosophy and SDPAS
- Able to speak another language other than English
- Capable of communicating with and in a manner that is culturally sensitive to individuals with disabilities
- Must be able to travel locally and regionally for meetings, client intakes and worker enrollments
- Ability to provide exemplary customer service
- Must be able to maintain solid documentation on all people served
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software, including Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Ability to become proficient on other software products as utilized by the position
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communication skills; able to interact with all levels of associates in a respectful, confidential manner
- Effective and collaborative team player
- A valid NY State Driver’s License and driving record acceptable for agency insurance coverage.
- Must be cleared and maintain an acceptable record under the criminal background check process
- Must be cleared and maintain an acceptable record under the Medicaid Fraud & Abuse exclusion check
- Maintain strong work ethic and strict adherence to code of ethics, standards of conduct and confidentiality requirements
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct new Intakes/Training to Self-Directed Employers (people served) and ensure all documentation is in hand and completed to initiate services that are authorized by the health plan or Local Department of Social Services (LDSS)
- Conduct new PA enrollments and ensure all documentation is completed in accordance with DOH and DOL regulations to ensure individual can deliver services
- Monitor utilization of authorized hours by every PA working through the time and attendance process
- Respond timely to payroll tasks and inquiries
- Maintain monthly communications with all Self-Directed Employers
- Monitor PA exclusion reports
- Facilitate community outreach at key locations and designated events
- Maintain accurate record keeping, note taking, and data entry
- Facilitate consistent learning and development on DOH and DOL standards to ensure program compliance
- Monitor and communicate with staff and participants regarding information that may affect the status of a self-directed employer including but not limited to: Medicaid eligibility, home care eligibility, hospitalizations, rehabilitation, assisted living, or nursing home admission, relocation and or death to ensure compliance
- Monitor and communicate with staff and participants regarding information that may affect the status of a personal assistant, including; health assessment status, Medicaid exclusion, work permit or ID expiration, etc., to ensure compliance
- Attend agency-sponsored in-service/trainings
- Comply with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and protect Agency operations by keeping information confidential and secured
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Adhere to all Agency policies and procedures, including but not limited to corporate compliance, personnel and fiscal policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain a strong attention to detail, ensuring work is accurate and complete, and adhere to all established deadlines
- Remain current in all agency required trainings
- Additional duties as assigned
“BRIDGES is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the community. Persons with disabilities, women, veterans and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.”
Building Relationships Investing in Diversity Genuinely Empowering Self
Demonstrating Honesty, Accountability, Integrity, Respect, Commitment, Individuality, Advocacy, Education, and Entrepreneurial attributes in every interaction.