POSITION TITLE: Orientation & Mobility Specialist
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Orientation and Mobility (O&M) specialist provides expertise for individuals with vision loss and their families to maximize skills for optimal independence to travel safely, confidently and independently in their environment. The Orientation and Mobility specialist works with individuals usually on a one-to-one basis in a home, school, hospital or in the community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate and assess personal needs and environment of each individual’s home/school/work life.
- Teaches mobility skills for indoor and outdoor orientation, sighted guide to caregivers and others & accessible technology devices
- Teaches concept development, spatial and sensory awareness, pre-cane techniques, mobility aids and provides environmental assessments.
- Interacts with clients, their family, caregivers and professional affiliates to identify and develop vision related goals including intervention and therapy programs.
- Provide support through consultation to individuals and their families regarding adjustment to vision loss.
- Provides interventions and supports to the client in the form of direct service, resources and information, collaboration with other programs and health care providers and transition planning
- Acts as a key resource in matters related to accessible design and the built environment.
- Maintain all case data, service tracking, key performance indicator benchmarking, reports and documentation consistent with VLRC Systems and Procedures.
- Keeps abreast of current materials, technology, standards of practice (ACVREP) related to providing service to individuals with vision loss by review of professional literature
- Maintains strict confidentiality and protects Agency operations by keeping information confidential and secured.
- Understand use of and obtaining appropriate documentation (state and agency) needed for filing and billing purposes
- A Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.)/Master’s Degree (M.S) required , Must have an Orientation and Mobility Certification for NYS ; ACVREP certified in Orientation and Mobility. Certification must be obtained within one year of hire.
- Fluent in English and Spanish a plus
- A valid NY State Driver’s License and ability to drive and an acceptable driving record for agency insurance coverage are required. Must be able to travel locally and regionally for appointments.
- Person-Centered, relationship builder, persistent, provides positive reinforcement when appropriate, empowering, creative, flexible, self-motivated, liaison skills, non-judgmental approach, organizational skills
- Adheres to all Agency policies and procedures, including but not limited to corporate compliance, personnel policies, HIPAA and all procedures
- Establishes and maintains a strong attention to detail, insuring work is accurate and complete, and adheres to all established deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
To apply for this job please visit www.bridgesrc.org.